Conditional sentences are one of the important parts of English grammar. If you know about conditional sentences then you can easily construct conditional sentences in your communication. In the article below I cover conditional sentences exercises with answers, test the knowledge of your conditional sentences by writing the sentences below on a paper, then check the correct answers in the bottom of the page.
Conditional Sentences Exercises with Answers
A) Decide which of the sentences below is conditional type1, 2 & 3 is:
- ___________If I were rich, I would travel around the world.
- _____________She wouldn’t have missed the train if she had woken up earlier.
- ____________I’ll call you if I come back early.
B) Put the verbs in the correct tense (conditional 1):
- If I (finish) __________________early, I will call you.
- I (catch) ________________the 9:00 train if I hurry up.
- She will know the answer, if she (try) ____________________________ to understand.
C) Put the verbs in brackets in the correct tense (conditional 2):
- If I (be)_____________________a star, I would help the needy.
- He (buy)___________________a house if he had a job.
- She (be)____________________happy, if she married him.
D) Put the verbs in brackets in the correct tense (conditional 3):
- If he (be)____________________careful, he would not have had that terrible accident.
- I (pass) ______________________the exam if I had worked hard.
- Her father would not have died, if he (go) ___________________________to the doctor.
- If the USA government (spend) _____________________________________ all the money given.
- We wouldn`t have been able to make conditional statements if Jalali (teach) ________________________ us the practical grammar.
E) Match the clauses below.
1- If we didn`t have the American teacher at ESL_______________
2- My teacher wouldn’t have been angry with me______________
3- If I have lots of money in the future, _______________
4- If the Pakistan government paved all the roads and streets in Quetta, ___________
5- If Jalal hadn`t learned English from expert professors in San Antonio, Texas, __________
6- If our neighbors do not interfere our internal affairs, _______________
7- If Taliban and the Afghan government get together,
8- She wouldn`t have been given the current position in the company___________
9- If we hadn`t been taught by Jalal and Mrs. Jalal, _____________
10- If you study hard and be punctual, _______________
a- you can learn perfect English.
b- we wouldn`t have been able to know this much English.
c- I will make a shelter for orphans and disabled people.
d- the air wouldn`t be this much polluted in here.
e- we wouldn`t be able to learn the correct pronunciation of English words.
f- if I had come to my class on time.
g- he wouldn’t have been able to write all the books and chapters for ESL.
h- we can definitely improve our country.
i- if she had been lazy and talentless.
j- Afghanistan will become one of the strongest countries in the world.
- Type 2
- Type 3
- Type 1
- would buy
- would be
- had been
- would have passed
- had gone
- had spent
- had taught
- > e
- > f
- > c
- > d
- > g
- > h
- > j
- > i
- > b
- > a