You can use the following phrases and vocabulary related to traveling in English to talk about traveling. Share your experience in short stories and talk about the places you traveled to.
Phrases and Vocabulary Related to Traveling in English
Word/ Phrase Function Meaning
|Airplane||Noun||a machine that has wings and an engine and that flies through the air.|
|Train||Noun||a group of vehicles that travel on a track and are connected to each other and usually to an engine.|
|Visa||Noun||an official mark or stamp on a passport that allows someone to enter or leave a country.|
|Passport||Noun||an official document issued by the government of a country that identifies someone as a citizen of that country and that is usually necessary when entering or leaving a country.|
2. travel agent
|Compound noun||1. a business that helps to make arrangements for people who want to travel/ 2. the person working for the agency who makes the arrangements.|
2. boarding pass
|Compound noun||1. getting into or onto (an airplane, a bus, a train, etc.)/|
2. a special piece of paper that you must have in order to be allowed to get onto an airplane.
|Book tickets||Phrase||To arrange buying tickets ahead of flying time|
|Make a reservation||Phrase||to arrange to have something (such as a room, table, or seat) held for your use at a later time.|
|Cruise ship||Compound noun||large ship that takes many people on a cruise at one time.|
|Noun||1. the activity of traveling to a place for pleasure/|
|He/she is well traveled||Expression||used to express that someone has visited many countries.|
|Go sightseeing||Phrase||visiting interesting or beautiful places of an area.|
2. tourist bus
|Compound noun||1. a person or book that leads or directs other people on a journey/2. a bus service that takes visitors sightseeing, with routes around tourist attractions.|
|Traveler‘s check||Compound noun||a check that is paid for in advance and that may be exchanged for or used like cash.|
|Tourist attractions||Compound noun||something interesting or enjoyable that people want to visit|
|Have a safe journey.||Expressional Phrase||used to tell someone that you wish them to be safe during traveling.|
|Backpacking||Verb||Backpacking is a form of low-cost, independent international travel. It includes the use of a backpack or other luggage that is easily carried for long distances or long periods of time.|
|Luggage||Noun||All of the belongings that you carry while traveling to a place.|
|Flight Attendant||Compound noun||Someone who serves passengers on an airplane.|
|1.Train Conductor /2.Train Station||Compound nouns||1. a person who collects money or tickets from passengers on a train or bus/ 2. A railway facility where trains regularly stop to load or unload passengers and/or freight. It generally consists of a platform next to the track and a station building (depot) providing related services such as ticket sales and waiting rooms.|
Questions related to the topic of traveling:
- Have you ever been abroad?
- Where have you been?
- Are you planning on going anywhere for your next vacation? If so, where? Who with?
- How long will you stay?
- Are you afraid of going abroad alone?
- Could you live in another country for the rest of your life?
- Describe the most interesting person you met on one of your travels.
- What was your best trip?
- What was your worst trip?
- Did your class in high school go on a trip together? If so, where did you go? How long did you stay? How did you get there?
- Do you have a driver’s license?
- Do you like to travel with children? Why or why not?
- Do you like to travel with your mother? Why or why not?
- Do you prefer summer vacations or winter vacations?
- Do you prefer to travel alone or in a group? Why?
- Do you prefer to travel by train, bus, plane or ship?
- Do you prefer traveling by car or by plane?
- Have you ever been in a difficult situation while traveling?
- Have you ever been on an airplane? How many times? What airlines have you flownwith?
- Have you ever been to a foreign?