A pronoun that introduces an adjective clause is called relative pronoun. The relative pronouns in English are which, that, who, whom, and whose. Who and whom refer only to people. Which refers to things, qualities, and ideas. That and whose refer to people, things, qualities, and ideas.
The cases of relative pronouns:
1- Subjective/Nominative case
2- Objective/Accusative case
3- Possessive/Genitive case
1- Subjective case:
In this case, the relative pronoun in the adjective clause functions as a subject and is followed by a verb form.
- The lady who learns English at Learn ESL works as a teacher at a private university.
2- Objective case:
In this case, the relative pronoun in the adjective clause functions as an object and is followed by a subject (Noun/subject pronoun).
- The city which I visited last year was very beautiful.
3- Possessive case:
In this case, the relative pronoun whose is used in adjective clause for both people and things to show the relationship or owner ship.
- The student whose father is a doctor got a very high score on the entry test.
- The car whose color is black is mine.
Deletion of relative pronouns:
A relative pronoun can be deleted from the adjective clause if it is used in objective case.
- The book which I bought yesterday was interesting.
- The book I bought yesterday was interesting.
- The book which has a lot of great stories about our Prophet was published in Egypt.
- The book has a lot of great stories about our Prophet was published in Egypt. (incorrect)
Complete each sentence with who, which, or whose. Choose the best (most grammatically correct) option.
1. That’s the man ___________________________ wallet I found.
2. That’s the singer __________________________ CD I bought.
3. That’s the woman ________________________ helped me cross the street.
4. That’s the house ___________________________ my parents used to live in.
5. The key _________________________ opens the basement door is very small.
6. The man __________________________ asked me the time was very handsome.
7. The rug ____________________________ I want to buy is very expensive.
8. The other students _____________________________ are in my class are younger than me.
9. The teacher _________________________________ car was stolen was very upset.
10. There are many people ______________________are overweight.