Parts of Speech, also known as Word Classes, are building blocks of English language. They indicate how a word is used in a sentence and help you speak and write English easily and effectively. In English, words are categorized into the 8 major Parts of Speech based on their uses and functions. The article below covers the 8 Parts of Speech.
The 8 Parts of Speech
Noun refers to the name of Person, place, thing, animal, idea, or event.
- Ali is an intelligent student. (name of a person)
- Kashmir is a very beautiful place. (name of a place)
- Dogs are one of the most loyal animals. (name of an animal)
- I am going to attend my best friend’s birthday (name of an event)
- Honesty is the best policy. (name of an abstract idea)
A Pronoun is a replacement for a noun. The English pronouns are he, she, it, I, we, they, and you.
- Ali is an intelligent student. He studies very hard. (He is the replacement to the noun Ali)
- Aliya is my youngest sister. She is a very stubborn girl. (She is the replacement to the noun Aliya)
A verb shows an action, possession, state, and characteristics.
- Yesterday, I sent Jamal a letter. (shows action)
- He has a cute (shows possession)
- My mother is a doctor. (shows state)
An adjective is a word that describes and modify a noun. And they are usually used before a noun to describe them.
- She is a kind
- He is a stubborn
- It is cold today.
The adverb is used to modify a verb, adjective, or another adverb.
- He won the marathon because he was running fast. (modifies verb)
- He won the marathon because he was running very (modifies adverb)
- Manushi is very kind to poor people. (modifies adjective)
Conjunction is a word used to join two words, two sentences, and two clauses.
- Alia and Saima are best friends. (joins two words)
- She will win the bet if he doesn’t escape. (joins two clauses)
It is used to show position or direction.
- Harry’s broomstick was on the table when Hermione came in.
- The students are rehearsing in the class.
The interjection is used to show sudden or strong feelings.
- He said to me,” Alas, I failed the midterm exams.”
- Wow, it was a very beautiful view.
So, these were the 8 parts of speech of English language. Let us know if you have any question in the comment section below.