We already have talked about independent and dependent clauses. We studied that depend or subordinate clauses are subdivided into three parts: 1.Noun Clause 2. Adjective Clause 3. Adverb Clause. It can function as a noun, an adjective or an adverb in a sentence. In this article we will talk about noun clauses, what are noun clauses in English.
What are Noun Clauses in English?
A group of words containing a subject and a main verb which functions as a noun is called noun clause.
The words below are commonly used in the formation of noun clauses.
What, When, Where, How, Why, Whoever, Whenever, Whatever Wherever, etc.
As a subject: Structure: NC + MV + ROTS
- Whatever she had for dinner made her sick.
- What you said didn`t make any sense to me.
As an object: Structure: S + (adverb) Vc + NC
- I really liked what she bought for me.
- They hated how impolitely he spoke with them.
As object of preposition: Structure#1: S + (adveb) Vc + preposition + NC
- I am still thinking about what you told me this morning.
- He objects to why they didn’t allow him to attend the meeting
Structure#2: S + be + adjective + preposition + NC
- I am proud of what she has done for me.
- They are excited about how easy they passed the TOEFL test.
In the middle of an adjective clause:
- Anyone who says that English teachers are boring will be fined.
In the middle of an adverb clause:
- Although I respected what the manager said, I disagreed with his idea.
Complete each sentence with a properly formed noun clause:
1. John asked me ________________.
where was his wallet
where his wallet was
2. I couldn’t tell him ________________.
where was I
where I was
3. I don’t know ________________.
how many children he has
how many children does he have
4. ________________ is not important.
How close we are
How close are we
5. ________________ was sad.
What did she say
What she said
6. We are not responsible for ________________.
what our children say
what do our children say
7. Is it true ________________ about you?
what did he say
what he said
8. I’m not going to tell you ________________.
what should you do
what you should do
9. I wonder if ________________ from Germany.
10. The teacher told us ________________ our finished exams.
where we should leave
where should we leave