Writing a speech or presentation is quite a difficult task for a person for the first time, if you have not made any speech or presentation before, this topic covers five tips for writing the best speech in English on an academic or professional subject. It should be useful for anyone who wants to know how to speak in public, class or conference. These steps are introduced here:
Five Tips For Writing the Best Speech in English
1. Select a speech topic
How to write a good speech or presentation, initially you need to choose a good and interesting topic. Choose what you like, what is your hobby, what is your passion, what do you like to talk about. When you are interested in the topic and the audience will also feel your enthusiasm and feel your excitement. Also, you can choose a different topic that no one heard about before, a topic which is a perfect fit between you and your audience.
2. Create a speech outline
Once you choose the topic, initially your topic needs a structure, you have to properly make a plan for your speech where to start or what to say first, second, third so on and how to conclude, all you need is a proper structure because without a structure your audience will either wonder what your core message is or they will lose interest in you entirely.
3. Write the speech
Write your speech as like you talk, remember that you’re writing a speech, not an essay. People hear the speech, not read it. The more conversational you can make it sounds the better. So try these tips
- Use short sentences. It’s better to write two simple sentences than one long, complicated sentence.
- Use contractions. Say “I’m” instead of “I am” “we’re” instead of “we are.”
- Don’t use big words that you wouldn’t use when talking to someone.
- You don’t have to follow all the rules of written English grammar. People don’t always talk in complete sentences with verbs and nouns. So try to write as people talk.
- Always read your speech aloud while you’re writing it. You’ll hear right away if you sound like a book or a real person talking!
- After you’ve written the first draft of your speech, go back and look for words you can cut. Cutting words in the speech can make your points more clear.
4. Use cue card
When you have written your speech, now this is time to wrap up your speech, to wrap up your speech you need a cue card. What is a cue card?
Literally cue card is a large card that someone holds beside a television camera so that a television presenter can read the words they have to say, but for giving speech you have to write your main points or keywords on cue card so that you remember the contents, don’t take the main page with yourself and read it to the audience, remember that you are talking to the audience meanwhile giving presentation or speech not reading them, reading from the paper will put bad impact, you will not attract the attention of audience and moreover lose the interest of the audience.
5. Practice and prepare in advance for speech.
Great speakers seem natural when they speak, almost as though they are speaking the words for the first time. Nothing could be more wrong. Rehearsing your speech makes you a master of the content.
In addition, proper preparation prevents presentation predicaments! Speech preparation is the most important element to a successful presentation, and also the best way to reduce nervousness and combat fear.