What are the top 10 ways to improve your English language is one of the most searched topics these days. After all, there is no doubt that we live in a world where borders blur and communication has built a bridge between diverse cultures and societies. So, the ability to communicate has become one of the top skills that one has to master no matter what. Meanwhile, the English language holds a precious position in this interconnected world.
Whether you are a college student planning for your higher studies, a job seeker, a professional looking for better opportunities, or someone passionate about traveling the world, learning and mastering the English language is a must. It can open countless doors and opportunities no matter what you are planning to do.
So, if you are wondering how you can hone your English language skills, you do not need to worry. Learnesl has countless guides and articles to help you. In addition, here are our picks on the top 10 ways to improve your English.
Top 10 Ways to Improve Your English
The English language is steeped with words, phrases, idioms, and much more that can aid in the learning journey of learners from all backgrounds. It is indeed a language that has gone through different eras and changes to become a global language and a language of dreams and ambitions.
With that being said, fasten your seatbelts and get ready to start learning the top 10 ways to improve your English.
1. Immerse Yourself in an English-Speaking Environment
If you are truly willing to master English or any other language, we believe that there is no alternative to immersing yourself in an English-speaking environment. Because if you surround yourself with people speaking the same language that you wish to learn or master, you will be able to accelerate your learning journey. Besides, you will not only get a great chance to learn but you will also adapt to cultural nuances and the English-speaking social dynamics.
Moreover, being in an English-speaking environment makes you adapt and use English in your everyday life situations. For instance, if you surround yourself with native English speakers, you will naturally expose yourself to native accents and colloquial expressions. Meanwhile, you will get a chance to inhabit a natural conversation flow. Other than that, you will also challenge your brain to process the four skills of the English language more rapidly and accurately.
If you wonder how to immerse yourself in such an environment, here are a few tips that we swear by:
- Study Abroad: There are a lot of excellent universities in English-speaking countries. So, if you find it feasible for you, consider moving out and continuing your education in those countries. Doing so will let you immerse yourself in the culture and improve your English language in a transformative manner.
- Language Exchanges: Most students do not know but there are a lot of English speakers who want to learn other languages. So, you can also look for language exchange opportunities and find someone who is passionate about learning your language. Besides, this may create a mutually beneficial environment.
- English Language Camps: Many countries offer English language camps. These camps provide an excellent opportunity to learn and master English by immersing in the environment. In these programs, there are different cultural activities and meet-ups that let learners learn by becoming a part of an English-speaking environment.
- Online Communities: For those of you who can not benefit from any of the above opportunities, online communities are the best choice. If traveling or moving out abroad is not feasible for you, you can become a part of an online forum and community. These let you practice English with other learners and native speakers who are willing to help you out.
By becoming a part of an English-speaking environment, you not only get a chance to practice English but also learn about the English culture and perspective. So, whether you decide to pack your bag and move abroad or join an online community or exchange program, embracing immersion will definitely be a transformative decision for you.
2. Regular Reading Habit
Reading has been one of the most beneficial habits that one can have. And there is no doubt that it has countless benefits. For instance, reading helps you focus better, reduce your stress, improve your mental health, and gain knowledge.
Nonetheless, we believe that reading regularly is the cornerstone of language proficiency. Therefore, if you want to improve your English, read more. It not only has the above benefits but it also exposes you to a wide range of vocabularies and improves comprehension, grammar, and writing skills.
If you still wonder, here is how and why reading regularly is one of the top 10 ways to improve your English language.
- Expand Vocabulary: As I mentioned above, reading regularly introduces you to new vocabulary, words, and phrases. While reading, you will learn how the same vocabularies are used differently in varying contexts. And you will start to understand their meaning and usage.
- Grammar and Syntax: When you develop the habit of reading regularly, you start to grasp how sentences are structured. You learn to track different grammatical patterns. As a result, you will naturally adapt to these rules and become more fluent in not only speaking but also writing.
- Cultural Insight: Reading regularly in English lets you learn more about English-speaking countries, their beliefs, norms, and cultures. You get exposure to historical events, intricacies of life, and much more.
Therefore, it is essential to develop a habit of reading in English, and here are a few ways you can do so.
- Start with Your Current Proficiency Level: While starting to build the habit of reading, you should first find out what is your current proficiency level. Then, look for material that matches your proficiency level and gradually build to a higher and more challenging content, such as newspapers, journals, magazines, books, novels, and more.
- Set a Reading Schedule: Make sure to dedicate a set amount of time to reading regularly. But choose what suits best for you. For some people, reading in the morning is an ideal time while some people prefer reading before bed. Similarly, others like to read while enjoying a cup of coffee or tea.
- Use Tech: If reading a physical book is not feasible for you, you can also find ebooks and audiobooks. These are more accessible and easy to carry. So, you can read on the go, in the gym, or wherever you want to.
- Join a Book Club: For regular readers book clubs are a blessing. Through book clubs, they can engage with other readers, find more interesting books, and get motivated to read regularly.
Hence, reading transforms your passive English language learning journey into an active comprehension and fun learning journey.
3. Listen and Watch in English
Learning and mastering any language, including English, does not have to feel like studying in an old-school style. You can not only learn and improve your English but you can also have fun and enjoy the journey. For instance, if you want to learn or improve your English language, listen to English songs or watch movies or TV shows.
Do you still wonder if listening to your favorite music or watching movies can help you learn English? Here is a brief explanation of how it works:
- Understanding Spoken English: When you watch a movie or listen to a song, you learn how native people speak in English and you get used to how the English language sounds. So, when you meet or talk with a native speaker in real life, it will be easier for you to understand them.
- Picking Up Pronunciation: Watching movies and listening to songs can help you learn how different words are pronounced. Learning pronunciation is essential because the English language has a set of rules for pronunciation. Similarly, British and American English can sometimes sound some time totally different.
- Learning Phrases: If you get used to watching movies in English, you will realize that you easily get used to phrases and expressions that natives use in their everyday lives.
So, now that you know why watching and listening in English is one of the top 10 ways to improve your English, let us further dive and learn how you can do so.
- Movies and TV Shows: Watching movies and TV shows is one of the most common ways of spending your leisure time. This time when you decide to watch a movie, choose an English-speaking movie. If you face difficulty in understanding, try watching it with your native subtitles. Once you get habitual, switch to English subtitles.
- Music and Podcasts: Whether you like listening to songs or podcasts when driving or walking, you can listen to any one of them and work on improving your English language simultaneously. After all, listening is one of the most fun ways of learning something.
- YouTube and Videos: YouTube is one of the most treasured platforms for learners. Whether you want to learn a new language, master programming, or draw, YouTube has countless guides and How-to videos. There are infinite channels that cover any topic that you can name. However, YouTube offers a scattered way of learning. If you want to learn something on YouTube, you must draw an actionable roadmap first.
- Practice Learning Comprehension: Other than YouTube videos, music, movies, TV shows, and podcasts, there are many other resources that you can use to practice English. For instance, you can watch a TED Talk or take an online test.
So, whether you decide to watch an English-speaking movie, a TED Talk, or practice through an online test, your main focus should be working on three of the four skills: listening, reading, and speaking. Nonetheless, it is indeed a fun way of learning and practicing a new language.
4. Expand Your Vocabulary
Whether you are learning a new language or improving a language that you already know, building a bigger vocabulary is essential. It is more like having a toolkit that you can use in any situation whenever you need it. Besides, the more words that you know the more easily and precisely you can express your thoughts, ideas, and feelings.
Moreover, if you know more words, you can comprehend what other people are saying. So, you will not feel lost whenever someone uses a vocabulary. In addition to that, it also boosts your confidence. Because you will feel more comfortable while engaging with other people, writing your assignments, and giving presentations.
If you wonder how you can build or expand your vocabulary, here are a few tips to help you:
- Practicing Learning a New Word Daily: Set a goal to learn a new word every day. If you do not know its meaning, search it out. Find out how you can use it in a sentence and try to incorporate it into your daily routine. Over time, you will surely build a bigger vocabulary.
- Read More Books: As I mentioned above, reading more and regularly helps you build your vocabulary. Because while you read, you learn newer words. Moreover, you can also try writing down unfamiliar words while reading. Later, you can look up their meaning and how to use them in your sentences.
- Use Flashcards: Creating flashcards is one of the most common yet best ways to learn new words. You can write the word on one side of the card and its meaning on the other side of the card. Then, review them regularly to reinforce these words in your memory. Other than paper flashcards, you can also use digital flashcards. Anki, Brainscape, and Quizlet are some of the best flashcard apps that you can try.
Whichever method you use, it is essential that you pay attention to how words are used in sentences. Hence, whether you decide to read daily or build flashcards and practice regularly, each edition of a new word enriches your capability to express your ideas and feelings. Therefore, we had to emphasize this tip in our list of the top 10 ways to improve your English language.
5. Practice Speaking Aloud
Most people who are speaking English as their second or third language find it very difficult to pronounce words correctly and speak in English well enough overall. Therefore, it is equally essential to practice speaking in English as the rest of the top 10 ways to improve your English.
You can consider speaking aloud in English as a training to train your muscles in the gym. So, the more you exercise, the better you become. While you are learning a new language, your muscles are your vocal cords and mouth. They need to work out regularly to become familiar with new words and their pronunciation.
Moreover, speaking aloud when you are learning a new language is helpful because it helps you build confidence. The more you practice speaking in English, the more comfortable you become. Besides, it lets you improve your pronunciation which is highly important for anyone speaking English as their second or third language.
Speaking aloud also helps in improving your fluency. Because the more you speak, the more fluent you become. So, if you want to learn how you can also speak loudly with confidence, here are a few tips:
- Talk to Yourself: This may sound strange. But it really works like wonders. You can try to have a self-talk session in the morning or before you go to bed. Talk about your day and plans, or go through your thoughts.
- Language Partners or a Group: Many people like you want to improve their English. So, find somebody who is willing to have a conversation with you in English. You can practice together. You can also find groups or clubs where people get together and practice English.
- Use English Language Learning App: There are countless language learning apps for both Android and iPhone. Find out one that meets your needs. Take lessons, do the exercises, take tests, and practice improving your English.
Speaking in English is like practicing dance moves. The more you do the better you become. Besides, do not worry about making mistakes because these are all a part of learning and getting better.
6. Take English Classes
You might think that taking a regular English class seems more like going back to school. However, it is one of the most effective ways of improving your English language. Therefore, we had to add it to our list of top 10 ways to improve your English language.
You can consider taking a regular English class as having a coach to help you become a better athlete. Besides, English classes provide you with a structured roadmap. You start with the most basic topics and move towards more advanced topics. This ensures that you build a stronger foundation. Moreover, having a qualified instructor means that you have somebody who is competent enough to answer your questions, correct your mistakes, and give you feedback.
In addition to that, there are other students in the class with whom you can practice. Because a classroom provides an opportunity for learners to engage with one another, practice, and improve. Besides, learning with other students can be fun, motivating, and challenging. With that being said, here are a few tips to help you:
- Enroll in a Language School: Check out if there are any English classes or institutes in your area or nearby. These institutes offer various courses for different proficiency levels. So, you can choose a course or a class based on your current proficiency level.
- Online Classes: There is no doubt that the internet has everything that you need. There are many courses available online to help learn anything, including improving your English. Besides, it is an excellent opportunity if taking physical classes is not feasible for you.
- Private Tutors: This is the best option for people who want to improve their English language in a short period of time. However, you should remember that it will be costly for most people. You can hire a private tutor who will first check your current proficiency level. Then, tailor a specialized lesson plan and guide you through it.
Nonetheless, taking English classes is indeed like having a roadmap that ensures that the time and effort you give to improving your English language does not go in vain.
7. Use Language Learning Apps
It is indeed true that if you want to learn something there are countless ways available. All you need to have is the will and dedication. There are many language-learning apps you can benefit from. It is more like having your English tutor in your pocket. It is always available whenever you want to learn. Unlike regular English courses or classes, these apps are fun and interactive.
They have engaging lessons, quizzes, challenges, and games that you can play to improve your English. So, you can stay motivated while working on your four skills. Besides that, you can use these any time and anywhere you want. Whether you want to learn a new lesson before you go to bed or while you are driving to your work or college.
In addition, most of these apps offer progress tracking feature. So, each time you learn a new lesson or take a test, you can review your progress. With that being said, here are a few steps to start improving your English through a learning app.
- Download a Language-Learning App: There are many apps available, such as Duolingo, Memrise, Rosetta Stone, and Babbel. Most of these offer free lessons. Besides those free lessons, you can also choose to get their premium features.
- Set Daily Goals: The key to progress is doing something regularly. While most of these apps let you set daily and weekly goals. Decide how much you want to learn daily or weekly. Start with a manageable goal and as you progress, you can increase it. Moreover, make sure that you stick to your goals.
- Explore Different Features: Most of these language learning apps offer a variety of features and activities. You should take full advantage of their listening, reading, writing, and speaking exercises. Explore all the features once you get comfortable using the app.
These apps make learning not only convenient but also fun and interactive. So, whether you are waiting in line, traveling on the local bus to your home, or just having leisure time, seize the moment and start improving your English language.
8. Write Regularly
If you want to improve your English, you need to focus on all four skills of English. Improving your speaking is not enough, you need to work on the other three skills. For instance, you can practice writing regularly by keeping a journal. Or you can write down what you have learned that day. This day you are not only keeping track of your lessons but you are also practicing writing. After all, when you write something, you learn it better.
Moreover, you practice learning grammar and sentence structure while you write regularly. You can not improve your English unless you improve your grammar. It is much like building the foundation of your house. Without it, the structure of your house might not be able to stand long enough.
In addition to that, writing allows you to express yourself creatively. For instance, you imagine the paper to be a blank canvas while your brushes and paint are pens. You can draw and express your feelings, thoughts, and ideas without any restrictions. Hence, writing regularly has to be one of the top 10 ways to improve your English language.
Nonetheless, here are a few methods that you can employ in your daily routine to start practicing writing regularly:
- Keep a Journal: Keeping a journal is one of the most effective and creative ways of practicing. Write about your day, your experiences, ideas, feelings, thoughts, and goals. Remember that it does not have to be perfect. But you will surely get better with time.
- Start a Blog: If you feel ambitious or you have thoughts and ideas to share with the world, you should definitely start writing blog posts in English. Platforms, such as Medium, allow writers to share their ideas and experiences with the world.
- Join a Writing Community: If you like working with other people, find writing clubs or communities where people review each other’s work and share feedback. You can share yours too. It is one of the best ways to get support and stay motivated.
- Set Writing Goals: Starting without a goal is not an effective way. Before you actually start the journey, make sure that you set a goal. It can be a daily goal or a weekly goal. Or you can also choose to certain number of words or pages. After all, setting a goal motivates you towards your target.
With that being said, we recommend that you write regularly to make sure that you improve all four skills of the English language.
9. Seek Feedback and Correction
Imagine you are learning how to bake a cake. To make sure that you learn to bake perfect cakes, you need someone to taste your cakes and tell you what it lacks. Similarly, it is essential to get feedback when you are learning a new language or improving your English language. Feedback helps you figure out areas that you need to improve and get better.
It also boosts your confidence. Because you learn what you need to work and what you are good at. Moreover, feedback and correcting one’s mistakes are the foundation of learning a skill or language. It is basically how we learn and grow. Therefore, it had to be one of the top 10 ways to improve your English language. So, here are a few tips you can work on this tip.
- Find a Language Partner: Find somebody who is willing to help you tutor while you are improving your English. Ask them to find out what are your weak areas and help you correct your mistakes.
- Take Language Class: If finding a partner is hard, you can choose to join a language class. Language classes provide an excellent environment for improving your English language. You can get instant feedback and your instructor can help you correct your mistakes.
- Online Language Learning Communities: As I have mentioned above in a couple of the top 10 ways to improve your English language, online communities provide a great platform for people who are unable to join a physical class. They provide a learning environment where you can not only learn from other members but they can also pinpoint your weak areas.
- Language Learning App: I have mentioned earlier that language learning apps have different features. These also offer features such as tracking your progress and tests that determine where you need to focus.
Nonetheless, getting feedback is one of the best ways to accelerate your journey. It also helps you be more confident.
10. Stay Persistent and Patient
Learning a new language or mastering one is like growing a garden. You plant the seeds, water them regularly, and wait patiently for the flowers to blossom. Being patient and persistent means that you understand that progress takes time. Besides, it shows that you are not giving up if things get tough.
So, you should understand that mastering a language takes time and effort just like growing a garden. Therefore, it is one of the top 10 ways to improve your English language. Besides, you might make mistakes along the way, but it is okay. Instead, you should understand that mistakes actually help you grow and get better. Moreover, here are a few tips to help you stay persistent and patient:
- Set Realistic Goals: Instead of aiming for perfection, set goals that you can achieve. For instance, when you first start, aim to write a small paragraph daily. Once you get comfortable doing so, try writing more.
- Celebrate Even Your Smallest Wins: The key to being consistent is recognizing that you are progressing and acknowledging your progress. Hence, no matter how small your win is, celebrate it.
- Learn from Your Mistakes: Remember that making mistakes is part of progress. So, whenever you make any mistake, do not get discouraged. You should rather see them as opportunities to improve.
You can read more about the following topics:
- Best Part-Time Jobs for College Students
- How Essay Writing Skills Can Help You Be More Successful in College
- How to Check Plagiarism Using Google Docs | Step-by-Step Guide With Pictures
- Essay Writing Tips for Academic Success
- How to Use Figurative Language In Your Writing
- Education and Grammar: How to Excel in Homework
- Top Plagiarism Checkers for Students and Teachers