Part-time employment for college students is almost as sought after as admission letters. College students are just as keen to look for employment as they are to find classes. This is because many individuals need to work to finance themselves and pay for their education fees. However, employment for college students is useful for more than just money. Students who work part-time had higher grades, according to research. And, according to the data from Mount Holyoke College, students with higher grades and a number of internships are more likely to get work within six months of their graduation. With that in mind, we have brought you the best part-time jobs for college students.
Best Part-Time Jobs for College Students
An approximated 70% of college students work whilst attending classes. Of course, finding work during the busy college years is difficult. It is especially true in fields that demand the traditional 9 to 5 hours. Many of these companies will offer little freedom in terms of work shifts. And some of these will come only offer full-time which may not be favorable to your school schedules.
Fortunately for college students, there are several professions that provide night and weekend shifts to qualified individuals. We have put together a list of some of the best part-time jobs for college students because we believe students should not have to go far and wide for fair pay.
Nanny gigs are one of the most popular part-time jobs among college students. Because they offer a lot of flexibility to college students.
Depending on the ages of the kids, some nannies just require to work in the evenings or afternoons. On the other hand, others caring for newborns are fortunate enough to concentrate on their term papers during nap periods of the babies.
As an extra bonus, some parents are ready to trade accommodation and meals for childcare facilities. This may be a big benefit for students attending college in expensive cities.
Some of the duties that a nanny has to do are as follows.
- Homework help for school-attending children
- Meal preps
- Taking care of their health during your shifts
- Taking the kids to playgrounds
- Doing chores at the house
- Dropping at and picking up from school the kids that they are babysitting
The payment for nanny employment varies tremendously depending on where you work. In the United States, nannies are paid between $17.73 to $20 for one child, $20 to $23.50 for two children, and $22 to $25.75 for three children. We recommend that you should enter your personal information into the Babysitting Rates Calculator of Care.com to get a better understanding of your city’s typical rates for a nanny.
2. Virtual Assistance
The virtual assistant is the twenty-first century’s alternative to the personal assistant. They are usually an administratively smart college student who assists busy professionals with everyday duties including scheduling, appointment setup, research, and more.
This is an excellent job position for any college student who is organized, good at computers, and ideally has administrative experience. To enhance the offer, all work may be remotely controlled and during any time of day, in certain situations.
The typical duties of virtual assistance are:
- Making and keeping schedules
- Making travel arrangements
- carrying out research
- Managing financial data
- Helping the employee manage their websites, It, and Social media profiles
Moreover, virtual assistants usually get paid between $14 to $18 per hour.
3. Pet Sitter
Are you a pet person looking for additional money? If so, we recommend you consider trying a dog walking or pet sitting part-time job. Besides, websites such as Rover provide on-demand work opportunities that accommodate even the most unusual hours.
Those who are capable and willing to host dog daycares and overnight pet sitters can earn twice as much as dog walkers. Of course, if you have expertise working with unconventional pets such as farm animals, horses, and reptiles, your salary might be considerably greater.
Moreover, the typical duties of a pet sitter are given below.
- Walking the dog
- Cleaning up the pet
- Taking care of their medicine
- Giving them food
- Pet transport
- Test Visits
If it seems like a good part-time job for you, you will be glad to know that you can earn between $15 to $40 per hour. However, the pay also depends on factors such as the location and duties that you will have to perform.
4. Call Center Representative
By strapping on a headset and operating at a contact center, many college students can earn a good amount to help them meet their expenses and pay for their college fees.
Many organizations demand staff to have spare evening and weekend flexibility. Because it is their job to get their consumers to respond to the phone calls and assist them. Besides, call centers offer a work schedule that so many college students can readily devote themselves to. Furthermore, this career might suit any student who communicates fluently and is not afraid to make a sales presentation, firm sales experience.
- Managing coming and outgoing calls
- Having to read from a pre-written script
- Selling goods or raising funds and donations
- Entering consumer information
- Investigating consumer complaints
According to Payscale, the average hourly wage for contact center agents is $13.28.
Not that every college student really does have the skills or resources to tutor, but those who do get one of the greatest hourly fees on our list of best part-time jobs for college students. Besides, tutoring employment may be found in a number of settings, including your university’s peer tutoring programs, commercial organizations, and even remotely, in online forms.
Whatever platform you ad the tutor choose, this part-time employment will provide you with lots of liberty and fulfillment. Nevertheless, some of the most common duties that a tutor has are given below.
- Making lesson plans for pupils
- evaluating pupils based on their current knowledge of a subject
- Making a plan for additional education and growth in topic areas
- evaluating a student’s progress in a topic and finding opportunities for growth
- Offering mock exams or assessments to pupils in order to prepare them for actual exams
- Examining the student’s homework assignments and exam scores
- Interacting with parents or guardians about any problems or concerns that need to be addressed
- Keeping the children up to date with teaching trends and curriculum
- Maintaining a thorough understanding of the material being taught
The average salary of a tutor ranges from $35 to $80 per hour. Besides, it varies from location to location and grade levels too.
6. Gym Receptionist
Fitness centers open early and close late. Besides, there are many gyms that remain open 24 hours a day and seven days a week. These hours provide an excellent opportunity for college students who may be in school from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
To sweeten the bargain, most gyms provide free or significant discounts to staff. So, this means that you can save money each month.
Moreover, some of the common duties of a gym receptionist are as follows.
Making appointments with customers to begin new subscriptions or to follow up on previous subscriptions
Receiving incoming calls at the reception
Welcoming the guests
- Managing membership applications and payments
- Checking in members
- Managing membership data and payments
- Updating membership records with new contact and payment information
- Keeping membership information and collecting processing fees as required by management
- Obtaining fees from members for the services at the gym
- Educating new members on regulations and procedures and assisting them in becoming familiar with the location
- Making appointments with customers to begin new subscriptions or to follow up on previous subscriptions
- Receiving incoming calls at the reception
- Welcoming the guests
Salaries for a gym receptionist vary based on their degree of education, their experience, the size of the gym, and the gym’s geographic location.
Nevertheless, the average salary of a gym receptionist ranges from $15.14 to $28.61 per hour. Moreover, the gym receptionist job is predicted to rise substantially more quickly over the next decade.
7. Social Media Assistant
Companies prefer recruiting young, college staff to manage their social media profiles. Because let’s face it, college folks are already quite active on social media. Many of them are part-time, hourly opportunities that offer remote labor such as social media campaign management, customer support chores, uploading images, and analysis and research.
The most common duties of a social media assistant are:
- Working with a marketing assistant
- Managing their social accounts
- Making sure that their social media platforms are SEO optimized
- Staying in touch with the customers of a company online
- Scheduling posts and stories
- Managing promotions and advertisements
- Developing strategies to increase engagement and fellowship
- Hosting programs such as Instagram Challenges
- Creating Facebook events for their programs
- Collaborating with others
- Managing photo albums
Furthermore, social media assistants make about $16 per hour. But the salary varies depending on different factors such as the size of the company, the number of working hours, and duties.
9. Bank Teller
Bank teller employment might assist college students who are attending classes online. Thus, want to construct a more regular routine. Besides, bank teller positions are especially helpful for students studying accounting, marketing, finance, and business.
This job is especially for students who hope to work in financial organizations after their graduation. Thus, we can say that a bank teller is an employee who helps bank customers with everyday financial transactions.
This entry-level position can provide college students with a significant advantage as they prepare to join the professional world after graduation. With that being said, let us have a look at the duties of a bank teller.
- Documenting checks and creating transaction reports.
- Counting and packing money
- Cash folder reconciliation
- Increasing awareness of the bank’s goods and services
- Opening account and loan application assistance
- Foreign currency exchange
- Maintaining the personal information of clients
- Connecting with other members of the bank’s staff
Lastly, like most of the best part-time jobs for college students in this list, the salary of a bank teller depends on various factors such as size, duties, and qualifications. Nevertheless, their average salary ranges from $12 to $15 per hour.
10. Brand Ambassador
A brand ambassador is chosen by a corporation to be the “face” of its brand. Preferably, the applicant is an influencer in their community. Besides, they should intend to sell the brand through existing networks and contacts through word-of-mouth marketing strategies. For instance, they should be willing to refer friends, post about the brand online, and much more.
A brand ambassador will also promote her firm at specialized events, such as product presentations or the distribution of sample items. Therefore, they should be an energetic, outgoing person with a significant presence on social media and a medium to a big network.
He or she is most likely already aware of and supports the brand being promoted. The applicant will very certainly be required to move things to and from events. Therefore, he must have his own method of transportation and be capable of lifting up to 50 pounds.
In addition, some of the most common duties of a brand ambassador as given below.
- Favorably representing the company in a variety of circumstances
- Contributing to the development of content including newsletters, product reviews, writing blogs, and more
- Taking part in event marketing
- Growing brand recognition
- Being an influential member of his or her society
- Giving feedback and insights into new products and services
- Using his personalized social media profiles to promote the brand
- Managing customer feedback
The salaries of a brand ambassador vary widely since most brand ambassadors work their own hours. Besides, their pay varies from company to company. Nevertheless, their average salary is from $17 to $21.
You can read more about:
- 5 Best Ways to Make Money Online in 2022
- How to File Taxes as a College Student
- Affordable Online College Business Degrees in 2022
- How to Reduce College Costs
- 100+ Best Debate Topics for School and College Students in 2022
- Top 10 Websites That Hire Writers
- English Teaching Online Jobs – Best Paid Platforms for Teaching English
- 10 Best Tips to Prepare Yourself for a Job Interview – Important Steps Before Interview