Doctor’s Day is an honorable day dedicated to giving doctors and their noble profession a shout out. Like teachers and parents, they play a very requisite role in our lives. Thus, it is our duty to let them know that we appreciate their hard work and contributions in our lives. Doctors’ day 2020 date may differ from continent to continent or probably country to country, the true purpose of this celebration still remains the same across the globe. In the article below, we shall see the history of this day, some beautiful doctors day quotes, and celebration ideas.
When is Doctors’ Day
The date when people from different continents and countries celebrate doctors’ day varies. The National Doctors’ Day – March 30, 2020.
Doctors’ Day History
The first time doctor’s day was observed on 28 March 1933, in Winder, Georgia. It involved mailing of cards of good wishes to doctors and their spouses, flowers for late doctors and dinner at Dr. and Mrs. William T. Randolph’s home. Then, the Barrow County Alliance adopted the concept of tribute to doctors. And the idea was introduced to the Georgia State Medical Alliance in 1933 by the president of the Barrow County Alliance, Mrs. E. R. Harris of Winder.
Next, at the annual state meeting in Augusta, Georgia On 10 May 1934, the resolution was adopted. Later the Alliance president, Mrs. J. Bonar White introduced this resolution to the Women’s Alliance of the Southern Medical Association at its 29th annual meeting. From then on, the Doctor’s Day has become the synonym to the Southern Medical Association Alliance.
Then, the United State Senate and the house of representatives passed S.J. RES. #366 amid the 101st United States Congress. And President Bush approved this resolution assigning March 30 as a national Holiday as a tribute to the contribution of doctors in the society.
Later, Dr. Marion Mass alongside Dr. Kimberly Jackson and Dr. Christina applied to officially change doctor’s day into doctors week in March 2017.
Doctors’ Day 2020 Celebration Ideas
This year, let us celebrate our physicians’ contribution to our lives. Whether you can contribute a small input or a large one, let’s appreciate their years of hard work and devotion. There are various ways you can show your love to your physicians and we have listed some of the best ones below. However, the important point to remember is that certain celebration ideas may depend on a number of factors such as the size of hospital and clinic and the staff. Whereas these ones may be easy to do.
- A shiny new stethoscope
- Hand made cards
- Best Doctor’s awards
- a small Doctor’s Day event
- Fruit or food baskets
- Happy doctors day messages and wishes
- A day off
- Delicious Lunch
- National Doctor’s day ceremony
doctors’ Day Quotes
- The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others. ~Mahatma Gandhi
- “Wherever the art of Medicine is loved, there is also a love of Humanity. ” ~Hippocrates
- “(As a doctor) people will trust you, confide in you, and appreciate your efforts. You can do amazing things for people if you don’t let the system get you down.” ~Wes Fischer, MD via Kevin MD
- “As a caregiver, you see selfless acts every day.” ~Dr. Raj Panjabi via The Huffington Post
- “To solve a difficult problem in medicine, don’t study it directly, but rather pursue a curiosity about nature and the rest will follow. Do basic research.” ~Roger Kornberg, Ph.D. via Stanford School of Medicine & Becker’s Hospital Review
- “Before asserting a prognosis on any patient, always be objective and never subjective. For telling a man that he will win the treasure of life, but then later discovering that he will lose, will harm him more than by telling him that he may lose, but then he wins.” ~Suzy Kassem
- “I always tell my residents to never forget that we have the opportunity to do more good in one day than most people have in a month.” ~Suneel Dhand via Doc Thinx
- “Observation, Reason, Human Understanding, Courage; these make the physician.” ~Martin H. Fischer
- “Wear the white coat with dignity and pride—it is an honor and privilege to get to serve the public as a physician.” ~Bill H. Warren, MD via Baylor College of Medicine
- “What the sick need is teachers, not treaters, health schools not hospitals, the instruction not treatment, education in right living not training the sick habit. Both they and their advisors must get rid of the curing idea and the practices built up thereon.” ~Herbert M. Shelton
- “Always remember the privilege it is to be a physician.” ~Daniel P. Logan
- “We practice medicine that our historical ancestors could only dream of, and we have access to amazing treatments and cures for our patients on a daily basis.” ~Suneel Dhand
- “Health is hearty, health is harmony, health is happiness.” ~Amit Kalantri, Wealth of Words
- “let me congratulate you on the choice of calling which offers a combination of intellectual and moral interests found in no other profession.” ~Sir William Osler
- “In our job, you will never go home at the end of the day thinking that you haven’t done something valuable and important.” ~Suneel Dhand