Indeed expressions are things that people say, write or do in order to show their feelings, opinions and ideas. When learning English as a second language you must know about important expressions in English in order to express your feelings or opinions. In this lesson you will learn some common daily and important expressions used in: 1.Asking about health/ life 2. Asking for help 3. Asking for information 4. Apologizing 5. Telephoning 6. Surprise 7. Agreeing or Disagreeing, 8. Giving opinion 9. Welcoming 10. Saying goodbye or farewell.
Important Expressions in English
1. Asking About Health/ life Expressions
1. How are you?
2. Are you all right? / Are you feeling well?
3. How do you do?
4. How’s it going?
5. How are you getting on?
6. How have you been?
7. What have you been (getting) up to?
8. I hope everything’s okay?
9. What’s wrong with you?
10. How have you been keeping?
2. Asking For Help Expressions
1. Can you help me? / Help me please?
2. Could you help me for a second?
3. Can I ask a favor? / Do me a favor please?
4. I wonder if you could help me with this?
5. I really need your help.
6. I can’t manage. Can you help?
7. Give me a hand with this, will you?
8. Lend me a hand with this, will you?
9. Could you spare a moment?
10. I need some help, please.
3. Asking For Information Expressions
1. Can you tell me…?
2. Pardon me! / Excuse me!
3. I’d like to know…
4. Do you know…
5. (Got / Have you) any idea…?
6. Could anyone tell me…?
7. (Do / Would) you happen to know…?
8. I don’t suppose you (would) know…?
9. I wonder if you could tell me…?
10. I wonder if someone could tell me…?
4. Apologizing Expressions
2. I’d like to apologize for…..
3. Ever so sorry.
4. How stupid / careless / thoughtless of me.
5. Please forgive me for my………
6. That’s my fault.
7. Sorry. It was all my fault.
8. Please excuse my (ignorance)
9. Please don’t be mad at me.
10. Please accept our (sincerest) apologies.
5. Telephoning Expressions
1. Hello / Good morning / Good afternoon…………..
2. This is Ali speaking
3. Could I speak to………….. Please?
4. Who’s calling please? / Who is speaking? / Where are you calling form?
5. I’m calling from Quetta. / I’m calling on behalf of Mr.X…….
6. Are you sure you have the right number / name?
7. Hold the line please. / Could you hold on please? / Just a moment please.
8. Thank you for holding / The line is free now.
9. I’m afraid the line’s engaged. Could you call back later? I ‘m afraid we don’t have Mr./Mrs./Ms/Miss….here.
10. Can I leave / take a message. / Would you like to leave a message?
6. Surprise Expressions
3. That’s crazy
4. Oh my God.
6. No way!
7. What a surprise!
8. I don’t believe it! Ar you Serious?
9. I’m Speechless?
10. I’d never have guessed.
7. Agreeing or Disagreeing Expressions
2. That’s for sure / that’s so true .
3. You’re absolutely right.
4. That’s exactly what I feel.
5. No doubt about it.
6. I don’t think so.
7. No way.
8. I’m afraid I disagree
9. No, I’m not sure about that.
10. That’s not always the case.
8. Giving Opinion Expressions
1. As far as I know,….
2. I’m absolutely certain that…
3. I’m pretty sure that……
4. It seems to me that…..
5. My (point of) view (on this) is….
6. To be hones / in my honest opinion,….
7. I’m fairly confident that…..
8. To my mind / To my way of thinking….
9. Off the top of my head,…..
10. This may well be controversial, but…..
9. Welcoming and Making Suggestions Expressions
1. Come through to the lounge.
2. Make yourself at home.
3. Let me show you around.
4. Shall I put the heating on?
5. Can I get you something else?
6. Do you fancy going out for a walk?
7. Would you like to join us for a lunch? Yes I’d love to.
8. I’d have love to, but I have to get back to work.
9. I ‘m afraid I am busy right now.
10. That sounds good. That’s fine by me.
10. Saying Goodbye / Farewell Expressions
1. Bye / bye bye.
2. See yo later / See you soon / Talk to you later.
3. I’ve got to get going. / I must be going.
4. I’m off.
5. Have a nice day. / Have a good day, time or night.
6. I gotta take off / I gotta head out.
7. Catch you later!
8. See you soon!
9. Catch you later.
10. Good night.
English language has thousands of expressions or phrases, here we tried to include most used and important expressions. hope it is helpful for English learners to use it in daily conversation.