We have already talked about some rules and sentence structure of tag questions in English. In this page, I will elaborate tag questions with exercises and answers.
Tag Questions With Exercises and Answers
Use tag questions when you already know about what you ask someone, but just want/need to make sure that whether the listener agrees and knows about it or not.
- – If the verb form of a sentence is positive, the tag question should be negative.
- – If the verb form of a sentence is negative, the tag question should be positive.
- – A comma is used before the tag question starts.
- positive sentence + comma + negative tag question
- Negative sentence + comma + positive tag question
Tag Questions in All Tenses
|He is an intelligent student, isn`t he?||He is not intelligent, is he?|
|You are a student, aren`t you?||You are not a student, are you?|
|I am your teacher, am I not? / aren`t I?||I am not your teacher, am I?|
|She loves her family, doesn`t she?||She doesn`t love her family, does she?|
|You like rice and meat, don`t you?||You don`t like rice and meat, do you?|
|They are walking towards us, aren`t they?||They are not walking toward us, are they?|
|You went to Pakistan last week, didn`t you?||You didn`t go to Pakistan last week, did you?|
|He was absent yesterday, wasn`t he?||He wasn`t absent yesterday, was he?|
|They were playing cricket, weren`t they?||They were not playing cricket, were they?|
|You will buy a car next month, won`t you?||You won`t buy a car next month, will you?|
|He is going to join us, won`t he?||He is not going to join us, will he?|
|They will be coming soon, won`t they?||They will not be coming soon, will they?|
|You have eaten lunch, haven`t you?||You haven`t eaten lunch, have you?|
|She has been to Iran several times, hasn`t she?||She has never been to Iran, has she?|
|We have finished five tenses so far, haven`t we?||We haven`t finished all tenses yet, have we?|
|They have been working, haven`t they?||They haven`t been working, have they?|
|He had left when you got there, hadn`t he?||They hadn`t left when you got there, had he?|
|You had been waiting for me, hadn`t you?||You hadn`t been waiting for me, had you?|
|You will have left by 01:00 pm, won`t you?||You won`t have left by 01:00 pm, will you?|
|You will have been watching TV for an hour by the time we get to your guest house, won`t you?||You won`t have been waiting for more than an hour by the time they get here, will you?|
Tag Questions With Modal Verbs
|He can speak good English, can`t he?||He can`t speak Arabic, can he?|
|You could buy it last month, couldn`t you?||You couldn`t afford it last year, could you?|
|We must study hard, shouldn`t we?||You must not break the law, should you?|
|He may/might come today, won`t he?||He may/might not come today, will he?|
Tag Questions With Have to and Has to
|You have to leave now, don`t you?||You don`t have to leave, do you?|
|She has to wear the hijab, doesn`t she?||He doesn`t have to call you, does he?|
|You had to accept it, didn`t you?||You didn`t have to do that, did you?|
|He had to be patient, didn`t he?||He didn’t have to be worried, did he?|
|Bring me some water please, will you?||Don`t throw it away, would you?|
|Let`s go outside, shall we?||Let`s not waste our time on it, should we?|
With Indefinite Pronouns
|Somebody has broken the window, haven’t they?||No one likes death, do they?|
|Everybody liked that singer, didn’t they?||Nobody liked him, did they?|
|No one wants to be called stupid, do they?||Everyone hates poverty, don`t they?|
Example: Peter works in the shop, _________ ?
Answer: Peter works in the shop, doesn’t he?
1) She is collecting stickers, _________ ?
2) We often watch TV in the afternoon, _________ ?
3) You have cleaned your bike, _________ ?
4) John and Max don’t like Math, _________ ?
5) Peter played handball yesterday, _________ ?
6) They are going home from school, _________ ?
7) Mary didn’t do her homework last Monday, _________ ?
8) He could have bought a new car, _________ ?
9) Kevin will come tonight, _________ ?
Complete the sentences with the correct question tags.
1. Mr. Tom is from America, isn’t he?
2. The car isn’t in the garage,_________ ?
3. You are John,_________ ?
4. She went to the library yesterday,_________ ?
5. He didn’t recognize me,_________ ?
6. Cars pollute the environment,_________ ?
7. Mr. Pritchard has been to Scotland recently,_________ ?
8. The trip is very expensive,_________ ?
9. He won’t tell her,_________ ?
10. Tom had a red car,_________ ?