Verbs are necessary component of all sentences. Verbs have two important functions: Some verbs put subjects into motion while other verbs help to clarify the subjects in meaningful ways.
The important thing to remember is that every subject in a sentence must have a verb. Otherwise, you will have written fragment, a major writing error. Here we are going to look at the function of a verb in a sentence.
- My English teacher smiled at the plate of cold meatloaf.
My English teacher= subject
Smiled = verb
Function of a Verb in a Sentence
What is a verb?
Definition: Verb is word which shows an action, but it also shows state/ possession, presence or absence of a person or thing.
- I teach English in this Academy. (Action)
- They seems happy today. (State)
- The players are in the ground. (Presence)
- The students are not in the classroom. (Absence)
Function of a verb
In fact verb signals an action, an occurrence or a state of being. Whether mental, physical, or mechanical, verbs always express activity.
The following examples describes physical action.
- Let’s run to the corner and back.
- I write a letter to my friend.
The following verbs in the sentences are mental verbs they related to concepts such as discovering, understanding, thinking, or planning. In general, a mental verb refers to a cognitive state.
- I know the answer.
- She recognized me from across the room.
The state of being verbs in the following sentences are in bold for easy identification.
- I am a student.
- We are circus performers.
Kinds of verb by form
Literally English verbs have five basic forms:
1. The base form
2. The -S form
3. The -Ing form (present participle)
4. The -Past form (Past simple)
5. The -Past Participle form
These Forms are used according to the tense of the sentences:
|Base form||-S form||-Ing form||Past tense||Past Participle|
Most verbs have past tense and participle in -ed (worked, played). But many of the most frequent verbs are irregular. These verbs are discussed in the intermediate part.
Kinds of verbs by function
There are different types and classification of verb, some of the most important ones are listed below:
2. Intransitive Verbs
3. Dynamic/ Event verbs
4. Stative Verbs
5. Linking/Predicating Verbs
6. Helping Verbs (Auxiliary Verbs)
7. To be Verbs
8. Regular and Irregular Verbs
9. Perception/ Sensation Verbs
10. Modal Verbs
11. Phrasal/ Prepositional Verbs
12. Hypothesis Verbs