There are 55 IQ questions with answers and explanations which can be used to test the students’ general mental ability. Also, you can use the following IQ test to measure how quickly and accurately your students can solve problems.
IQ Questions With Answers and Explanations
1. You are in a dark room with a candle, a wood stove, and a gas lamp. If you only have one match, what do you light first?
- The Match
Explanation: The match must be lit before anything else can be lit.
2. You answer me although I never ask you questions. What am I?
- Your Telephone
Explanation: When your telephone rings, you answer it.
3. The capital of Turkey is a strange word. Would you please spell “it”?
Explanation: The question asks you to spell the word, “it.”
4. Your mother’s brother’s only brother-in-law is asleep on your couch. Who is asleep on your couch?
- Your Father
Explanation: You mother’s husband (aka your father), is your mother’s brother’s(aka your uncle’s) brother-in-law.
5. Bob’s father has four Mom, Meme, and Mumu is three of them. Who’s the fourth?
Explanation: BOB’s father.In other words, Bob is also his kid.
6. Some months have 31 days. Some have 30. How many have 28?
Explanation: All months have at least 28 days.
7. I have three apples. If you take away two from me, how many do you have?
Explanation: If YOU take two apples, YOU have two
8. Which is greater: six dozen or half a dozen?
- Six Dozen
Explanation: Six Dozen = 6 x 12 x 12 is greater than Half a Dozen = 0.5 x 12 x 12
9. An electric train is traveling SW at 60mph. The wind is blowing from the NE at 10mph. Which way is the smoke blowing?
- It’s not blowing OR What smoke?
Explanation: Electric trains don’t give off smoke.
10. A plane crashes on the United States/Canada border. Where are the survivors buried?
- They aren’t
Explanation: You don’t bury survivors.
11. How can 2 and 2 make more than 4?
- Place them side by side
Explanation: If you place 2 and two next to each other, you get 22 (twenty-two).
12. If I dig 3 feet by 10 feet by 20 feet holes at a rate of 5 holes per day, how much dirt will be in the holes on the 3rd day of digging?
- 0 feet cubed
Explanation: Holes have nothing inside them.
13. What would you have to add to the Roman Numeral, IX, to make “six”?
Add on an S
Explanation: Adding an S to the front of IX gives you SIX.
14. The day before yesterday, Suzie was 17. Next year, she will be 20. What day is her birthday?
- December 31
Explanation: You’re speaking on January 1st. On December 30th, she was 17. The next day was her 18th birthday. She’s turning 19 on the last day of THIS YEAR, so she’s turning 20 on the LAST DAY of NEXT YEAR.
15. I am greater than God and more evil than the devil. The poor have me, the rich need me, and if you eat me, you will die. What am I?
Explanation: Nothing is greater than God and nothing is eviler than the devil. The poor have nothing, the rich need nothing, and if you eat nothing, you will die.
16. There was an evergreen tree in the dark, ugly forest where ghosts, witches, and even Frankenstein’s lived. All of the sudden, a great gust
Of wind flew through the forest. Which way did the leaves on the tree fall?
- It is a pine tree. It doesn’t have leaves.
17. There once was a lady who liked pink. In her cozy, little one-story house, everything was pink. Even her dog was pink. Her hair, her carpet, everything. What color are her stairs?
- She didn’t have stairs. It was one story.
18. How many two cent stamps are there in a dozen?
19. A clerk in the butcher shop is 5’10” tall. What does he weigh?
20. A farmer has 17 sheep; all but nine dies. How many are left?
21. A doctor gives you three pills telling you to take one every half hour. How long would the pills last?
- 1 hour.
22. Divide 30 by 1/2 and add 10. What is the answer?
23. Is it legal for a man in California to marry his widow’s sister? Why?
- He’s dead.
24. Why can’t a man living in the U.S. be buried in Canada?
- He can’t be buried if he isn’t dead.
25. A woman gives a beggar 1 dollar and 32 cents; the woman is the beggar’s sister, but the beggar is not the woman’s brother. How come?
- The beggar is her sister.
26. In a year, some months have 30 days, while some have 31. Guess which month has 28 days?
- All months have 28 days!
27. If a peanut falls from a tree when the wind is blowing north, where will it land?
- North for sure!
- On the ground?
- Peanuts don`t grow on trees!
28. Even though it belongs to you, usually others use it, what?
- Your name.
29. What is taken from you before it is given to you?
- Your Photo
30. There were six apples in a basket and six girls in the room. Each girl took one apple, yet one apple remained in the basket how?
- The first five girls each took an apple. The sixth girl took the basket as well as the apple in it.
31. Men were playing tennis. They played five sets, and each man won three sets. How did they do this?
- The two men were partners playing doubles.
32. I’m a male. If Albert’s son is my son’s father, what is the relationship between Albert and me?
- He is my brother
- He is my uncle
- He is my father
- He is my sister
- I am Albert
33. You are my son, but I’m not your father. Who says that?
- The mother.
34. & Mrs. Smith have five children. Of these five, half are boys. How is this possible?
- All of them are boys. Then half of them must be boys, too.
35. Farmer Black came to town with some watermelons. He sold half of them plus half a melon and found that he had one whole watermelon left. How many melons did he take to town?
- Three watermelons.
36. What fruit have its seeds on the outside?
37. Is half of two plus two equal to two or three?
38. What is the beginning of eternity? The end of time and space. The beginning of EVERY END? And the end of EVERY PLACE?
- The letter E
39. Where is the only place in the world, where Friday comes before Thursday?
- In dictionary.
40. Seven is an odd number. How can it be made even?
- Alphabet “s.”
41. Which letter of the English alphabet flies, sings, and sings?
- ‘B’ (bee).
42. You have a cup placed on a table. You are pointing towards the North, and the cup is facing towards the South. On which side is the cup’s handle?
- No matter in which position the cup is, its handle will always be on the outside!
43. Name all the numbers from 1 – 100, which have the letter ‘An’ in their spellings?
44. Which one is correct? “Penguins flies” or “A Penguin flies.”
- Penguins don’t fly.
45. What gets wetter the more it dries?
- (A Towel)
46. What would you have to add to the Roman numeral, IX, to make “six”?
- (Add on an S)
47. Some months have 30 days, some months have 31 days, and how many months have 28 days?
- All of them, every month have at least 28 days.
48. If a doctor gives u three pills and tells u to take one pill every half hour, how long would it be before all the pills had been taken?
- 1 hour, if you take a pill at one o clock then another at 1:30 and the last at two o clock, they will be taken in one hour.
49. I went to bed at eight o clock in the evening, and wound up my clock and set the alarm to sound at nine, how many hours sleep would get before being awoken by the alarm?
- 1 hour, is the wind up alarm clock which cannot discriminate between am and p.m.
50. Divide 30 by half, and add ten. What do you get?
- Dividing by half is the same as multiplying by 2
51. A farmer had a 17 sheep. All but 9 died, how many live sheep were left?
- 9 sheep
52. A man builds a house with four sides rectangular construction, each side having a southern exposure. A big bear comes along. What color is the bear?
53. Take 3 apples from three apples. What do you have?
- 2 apples
54. How many animals of each species did mosses take with him in the Ark?
It as Noah, not mosses
55. If u drove a bus with 43 people on the board from Chicago and stopped at Pittsburgh to pick up seven more people and drop off five passengers at the Cleveland to drop off eight more people and pick up 4 and eventually arrive at Philadelphia 20 hours later, what’s the name of the driver?
- You are the driver