We have already talked about past perfect continuous/progressive tense usages and sentences structures. In the article below you will find past perfect tense exercises with answers accomplished for ESL students or teachers.
Related: More Exercises
Past Perfect Tense Exercises
1- They had _____________ a lot of wood before the weather got cold in Quetta.
- a- buy
- b- buying
- c- bought
2- We had ______________ when they came home.
- a- gone shopping
- b- went shopping
- c- go shopping
3- I had turned off my cell phone when you _______________ me last night.
- a- call
- b- were call
- c- called
4- When I arrived to the classroom, the teacher _________________ the lesson already.
- a- has already
- b- have started
- c- had started
5- Who _______________ the president of Pakistan before Musharaf?
- a- had been
- b- had had
- c- had he
6- Who ______________ gone shopping with when you saw him?
- a- had
- b- had been
- c- had he
7- He hadn`t ____________ job for a while before he became an English teacher at EYES.
- a- have
- b- had any
- c- having
8- When he _____________ home his brothers and sisters had already eaten dinner.
- a- Comes
- b- comes
- c- came
9- For how long _____________ president of the U.S.A. before Obama won the election?
- a- Bush had been
- b- Had bush
- c- had Bush been
Put the verbs into the correct form (past perfect simple).
- The storm destroyed the sandcastle that we (build) _____________________.
- He (not / be)__________________________ to Cape Town before 1997.
- When she went out to play, she (do / already)_______________________ her homework.
- My brother ate all of the cake that our mum (make)________________________.
- The doctor took off the plaster that he (put on)_____________________ six weeks before.
- The waiter brought a drink that I (not / order) ________________________________.
- I could not remember the poem we (learn)_______________________ the week before.
- The children collected the apples that (fall)_____________________ from the tree.
- He (call)________________________ Shahla before he went to see her in London?
- She (not / ride)_____________________ a horse before that day.
Put the verbs into the correct form (Past perfect simple tense)
- When she (hear) the noise, she turned to see what it was.
- When I saw her, I knew we (never meet) before.
- When I looked at the lorry, I could see that somebody (drive) into the back of it.
- The movie (start already) when we arrived to the cinema.
- The doctor examined her leg and (find) that she had broken it.
- I was hungry because I (not eat) since breakfast.
- I was frightened because the police (come) for my brother.
- I was feeling very thirsty because I (drink) too much alcohol the night before.
- I told him twice that I (not know) him.
- I told him I didn’t know who (steal) his pen.
- I paid for the window because my son (break) it.
- I felt really stupid because I (make) a lot of mistakes.
- I couldn’t get in because I (lose) my keys.
- I (write) a long letter to my mother yesterday.
- He told me he (never see) anything like that.
- He told me he (never be) to Australia before.
- He started to read the newspaper he (buy) an hour ago.
- He (spend) three years in Tahiti when he was a child.
- Before he came to Warsaw he (live) in Prague.
- After she (finish) breakfast, she left the house.
|Exercise 1.||Exercise 2.|
|1. bought||1. had built.|
|2. gone shopping||2. had not been|
|3. called||3. had already done|
|4. had started||4. had make.|
|5. had been||5. had put on|
|6. had||6. had not ordered|
|7. had any||7. had learned|
|8. came||8. had fallen|
|9. had Bush been||9. had called|
|10. had not ridden|
|1. had heard|
|2. had never met|
|3. had driven|
|4. had started|
|5. had found|
|6. had not eaten|
|7. had came|
|8. had drunk|
|9. had not known|
|10. had stolen|
|11. had broken|
|12. had made|
|13. had lost|
|15. had never seen|
|16. had never been|
|17. had bought|
|18. had spent|
|19. had lived|
Conversation In Past Perfect Tense
S1: Had you been prepared for winter when the weather got cold this year?
S2: Yes, we had. We had already bought a Turkish heater and enough coal.
S1: Did you buy any firewood beside coal?
S2: Yes, we did. My dad had brought a whole truck of wood form Shinwar before we got the coal over here in Quetta.
S1: Lucky you! So you really enjoy the winter, don`t you?
S2: Yeah, we sure do. But you told me nothing about your preparation, friend!
S1: To tell you the truth, we had had the same preparation at least before it started to snow, but no Turkish heater!
S2: What kind of heater do you use then?
S1: We had bought the one made in Quetta even before the weather got cold.
S2: No matter what kind as long as it keeps you warm.
S1: Yes, you`re right. The ones made in Quetta are cheaper and they work just fine.
S2: I totally agree with you. In fact, it is a good idea to buy our own products.
S1: Now you got to the point. That`s what I about said.
Was the article helpful? If you find any error regarding past perfect tense exercises in the article, please feel free to write in the comment box below.